Search This Blog

Friday, 1 December 2017

CNR 2-8-0 N-5-d Consolidation



Today I caught some pictures of 2752 departing Melville with train 202 to Regina




Van Hobbies CNR N-5-d 2752.  I installed a Soundtraxx 1000 D&RGW steam decoder in this locomotive in 2014. I also installed a new flat can motor  2032D-9 with a 409-6 flywheel weight along with new universal shafts all from NWSL. While I had this open I installed an LED light. To determine what motor would fit I made a clay mock-up of the motor sizes that NWSL had available. I also stuck a piece of  styrene rod out of the front so I would know how and if it would fit with the new universals. Note: I have done this procedure with all of the brass steamers that I installed new motors in. I used brass strip on the old motor base to help mount the new motor, then the motor openings were taped and it was set in silicone to hold it to the mount. The reason for taping was so that silicone could not get inside the motor. The new drive shaft and universals were added. I did not change the gear box because this loco ran very well.
I installed a 1.1" speaker in the tender. Before I installed the speaker I drew a template in Auto Cad and laid this on the floor of the tender and then drilled a series of professionally looking holes in the floor. I then air brushed some black to cover the bare brass from drilling the holes. I then used Soundtraxx double sided gasket to stick the speaker to the floor, because I did it this way there was no need for a speaker enclosure. I am considering installing a high bass speaker in the future.
On this Loco I also installed the decoder in the tender. I make my own wire plug by cutting what I need from strip connectors. The connector is left inside the tender to make it neat. I never take the tender off the engine very often, but if I need to I just have to remove the shell on the tender. I filed a small notch on the bottom of the wall of the tender for the wires to pass through to the engine. I could not go through the floor because it would have interfered with the movement of the truck on the tender.
 I did not take any pictures of this for some reason. If I have it apart again I will take pictures.
I also added raised numbers to the cab side. These number sets come from the CN Lines Sig. I used a decal set 87-1019 from Microscale. The wafer on the tender was set horizontal to reflect 1959 CNR practice. This information comes from the Canadian National Steam which was done by Don McQueen. Great books if you are into steam.
This loco runs really nice and can pull about 15 cars on level track.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NMRA PNR 6 Div Meet

Hi all  My wife and I spent the past weekend June 22-24  in Blairmore Alberta which is in the Crowsnest Pass area for the the NMRA PNR 6...